Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Intern Adventures Continue!
Hello Again,
Intern Morgan here. I've been interning for about  one month now. Things are going well. I am really enjoying teaching in the class room.  I am helping out Beth's class, which is the lowest level. Most of the students in her class are just learning their letters and how to introduce themselves. I spend most of my time going back and forth from Damber, a Bhutanese refugee who is very very quiet and Jesus, a Cuban asylee who is very very talkative. Damber is new and just getting to know how to write. Jesus is very determined. He participates in class and if he is confused he will ask in Spanish.  In class Thursday,  Jesus thought Damber was the name of a country. So we had to sort out that, also he never had heard of Bhutan so I had to show him on a globe.
I also work with Kameela, from Iraq and Lan from Vietnam. Lan is sweet and tries really hard to learn English. You can see it when you talk to her she has so much to say but just don't know how to express it yet in English. Kameela is a rambunctious lady. She really likes the color pink or "bembi" as she says in Arabic.
Oh I forgot to mention the refugee who makes me smile the most. His name is Saw. He is from Burma. He is in the class I help. He is at the level in English where he knows his letters but not words yet really. He can understand better than talk. He smiles so much and laughs so much it warms my heart. Things that aren't really that funny are hilarious to him.
  Some of the former refugees have already received their citizenship but come for the activities,  friends and further English lessons.
I am really enjoying the classes. I also spent one day in the office, doing computer stuff but that isn't anywhere as fun nor makes me feel as energetic like teaching does.
 
Morgan helping Damber from the Karen State learn his letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment