Friday, August 19, 2011

Meet Our Intern: Anna

Next week, three students will begin their practicum placements with the Refugee Elder Program; the teachers and elders are beyond excited for these interns to begin; we are counting down the days expectantly!  Each of the students will complete a 450-hour internship over the course of the fall and spring semesters.  They will all work at the Elder Program regularly, but each of the interns will also participate in other areas of the refugee resettlement process, as well as work on an individual project throughout the year. 

We'd like to introduce you to these interns and let you learn a little bit about them, as they will be an integral part of the Elder Program in the coming months. First, we'd like to introduce you to Anna. 



Anna is a first-year graduate student at the Kent School of Social Work; her individual project is developing fundraisers and publicity materials, as well as further developing the mentoring program.  She hopes that she will be able to raise more awareness in the community about elder refugees, their needs, and of course the Elder Program!  Anna answered a few brief questions for us so we could get to know her better:

What made your want to complete your internship with the Refugee Elder Program?

I've been volunteering with this program for about two years and have grown to love everyone involved with it.  I came to this program to teach others, but I feel they have taught me more than I could ever pass onto them.  The Elder Program is full of people who love what they do; they are there because they have a passion for helping others.  I knew after my first day of volunteering with the program that I had to be involved with it; I knew God had placed me there for a reason.  After being accepted to graduate school and then determining my practicum placement, I knew the Elder Program was where I wanted to be.

What about your placement are you most excited and most nervous?

I'm most excited about learning about more of what goes behind the scenes.  I know there is an abundant amount of blood, sweat, and tears that goes into keeping this program successful, and I'm excited to be a part of that.  I'm excited to pick the brain of the program coordinator and really grow into a social worker.  I'm most nervous about messing up; this is a program where we are dealing with people who have seen the worst there is to see in this world...

What are your long term goals for your career and life?

After obtaining my MSW, I hope to work in the international community- hopefully with a non-profit group like KRM.  As a single mother, I am doing my best to teach my son the importance of serving others.  Although he is only seven, I can already see that he has a very kind and giving heart.  I hope to continue to grow that in him.  My main goal is to leave behind something positive for everyone I meet along my journey.  I want to move and motivate people to do something positive with their lives.

Anything else?

I'm so scared of birds that I won't even eat chicken or turkey...but I am captain of a flag football team and love the sport a ton!

Anna has been mentoring Hawa for well over a year now.  Hawa is currently in the process of applying for citizenship!

Welcome Anna!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment