Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Meet Our Intern: Ashley

Last week we introduced you to our intern Anna; now we'd like you to meet Ashley! 


(Ashley also got married in May- congratulations, Ashley!)

Ashley is pursuing her Master's in Social Work degree with a specialization in gerontology and is in her final year of graduate school.  Her individual project will involve networking and collaborating with the greater Louisville Metro community to create a resource guide for elder refugees.  The guide will detail helpful mainstream services available to the elders.  Ashley hopes that as a result of her project, both the elders and the mainstream service providers will be more aware of one another.

Why do you want to complete your internship with the Refugee Elder Program?

I knew I wanted to work with older adults because I have a great passion for working with this population.  I have several years of experience working with the elders in the long-term care sector and wanted to branch out of other areas in the community.  A friend of mine told me about the Refugee Elder Program, and I got very excited about the prospect of working with a such a unique group of individuals.

What about your internship are you most excited and most nervous?

I am most excited about meeting people from a variety of diverse backgrounds and hearing some of their interesting stories.  I am nervous about not knowing enough about cultures with which I am unfamiliar- and coming across as ignorant... I love meeting new people and strive to always have an open mind and willingness to explore things from a different point of view.  In my attempts to learn more about the experiences of refugees, I hope that I won't offend anyone with what could be considered a silly question.

What are your long term goals for your career and life?

Ultimately, my goal is to help people.  I want to continue to work with older adults, which I find extremely rewarding.  I hope to serve as a leader in advocating for this often marginalized population and aim to promote social justice by giving older adults an opportunity to voice their needs.  In the long run, I plan on becoming a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and hope to be able to provide a platform for older adults to be listened to and heard.  Aside from my social work goals, I wouldn't mind one day opening a bed and breakfast with my husband, who is a fantastic chef!

Anything else?

I have an orange cat named Ranga, whom I am very devoted to.  I also have dreams and aspirations of being on a game show.  I love to make things and hope to somehow incorporate my love for crafts into the Refugee Elder Program.  I'm very excited to get started!

On her very first day at the Elder Program, Ashley helps Ah with her assignment.


Welcome Ashley!!!  If you would like to read about our other interns, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment